Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Version of Sunflowers











And it ended up with no Sunflowers at all!

Let's pretend these photos are in the order I wanted them, instead of backwards.
This is a progression of an Oil Painting I did. I was inspired by Van Gogh's "Sunflowers", but I wanted to do my own version.
I thought I would be putting this in my kitchen and wanted colors to match.....and I do like Sunflowers, but they are not my favorite, so I wanted to change it up a bit. You can see in the last (that was supposed to be the first) pic that I tried to at least stick to placement. But that did not last! After I changed the colors (see the 2nd pic from bottom) I decided I did not really want ANY sunflowers in it and tried changing it up with a variation of flowers. The first picture you see is the version I decided to stick with.
My father is an artist and so when I am having trouble or blocks, i talk to him to see what he says. His advice on this was to stop "messing around" with it. (I personally wasn't that satisfied with the color changes I made and wanted to keep changing color or even subject). My dad said "just finish it, and start working on a new one"
My dad is a genius! ( I may sound biased, but it is true:)
It is always nice to get the things I'm doing perfect(or at least in line with my vision), but I also have to remember that If I am spending too much time on one thing, my perception gets a little blurred. It seems I work best, when I am able to take a step back, just start doing and come back and see if I'm not happy with the result.
Now, this picture has a place in my bedroom and it grows on me a little more each time I see it.

No comments: